May 04, 2018
It’s a sad fact of life that relationships break down.
This can be an emotional and upsetting time which can often become acrimonious leading to lengthy and expensive court proceedings to deal with issues such as finances eg. how property is split or who will care for the children.
When this happens, figures produced by the government do not make for happy reading. For publicly funded (legal aid) cases they estimate that:
- The average cost of resolving property and financial disputes through the courts is £4,000
- The average time to resolve the case through the courts is 435 days
However, the government’s recent changes to the legal system have resulted in legal aid being withdrawn for many family matters and as a result separating couples may now be required to pay the costs themselves.
Happily, there is an alternative...
Mediation is a process which brings couples together to explore issues in an open and non confrontational environment. Trained mediators give impartial guidance and help you understand what matters to you, helping you make your own choices to arrive at practical and mutually agreed solutions.
Resolving unhappy situations in a non-hostile manner brings obvious benefits including:
- Enables parties to communicate in a safe and secure environment
- Enables communication channels to remain open
- Reduces tension and hostility
- Saves costs of what can sometimes be expensive court battles
- Helps you make informed decisions that are right for you
- Helps children, who see parents working together
Indeed, practically those same government statistics show that:
- The average cost of resolving property and financial disputes through the mediation is £500
- The average time to resolve the case through the mediation is 110 days
These are staggering differences and you can be sure that, here at Pudsey Legal, we warmly welcome mediation as a way to amicably resolve differences at these difficult times.